3 March 2012

10 QUESTIONS TO ASK BEFORE YOU TRADE

Hi Friends,



Often when we seek answers to combat the chaos of trading, it helps if we ask the right questions.  Read on below for Top 10 trading questions:


1)  How will I enter trades?


The key to good entries is putting on trades where there is relatively low risk compared to much higher reward.  You also should have a clear catalyst for the expected stock move.


2)  How will I exit trades?


You should define an initial stop point for your trade, at the point where the trend is invalidated.  It's also useful to have a 'trailing stop' technique to protect your profits.


3)  What type of orders will I use to enter and exit?

When entering, I like to use limit orders, good for the day only, while exits are often market orders.  Why?  Because limit orders allow me to define my risk and reward clearly on the entry of a trade — while when I need to get out, market orders allows immediate exit compared to the risk of missing my exit with a limit order.



4)  How much capital will I need to trade successfully?


There are economies of scale as you increase the amount of capital you trade with.   Costs related to commissions, quote systems and equipment begin to diminish as the percentage of capital invested goes up.


5)  What percentage of my capital will I invest in each trade?

The amount of capital I typically use is 10% per trade in my own accounts.  I know traders who commit anywhere from 5% of their account per trade to 20% of their account per trade.  Your goal should be to keep portfolio risk per trade at less than 2% per trade (for example if you invest 20% of your portfolio in a trade, a 10% loss on that position would lead to a 2% loss on your portfolio).



6)  How many positions will i focus on at once?


I like to concentrate my portfolio in my best ideas, plus I like to stay focused on how each stock is acting.  If my portfolio is too big (I'd say more than 15/20 stocks can be too many to focus on, but it varies), then I will lose focus and invariably miss an exit on a trade that I should have previously exited.


7)  What will my Trading Journal look like?


In my Trading Journal, I note daily observations, particularly related to my ability to execute my trading plan.  I also commit to doing a post-trade analysis every month.  I note what I did right and wrong, and seek to learn from mistakes to minimize future errors in similar circumstances, while also looking for winning patterns where I seek to repeat big successes.


8)  What is your Position Review process?


Have an end-of-day routine to close your day.  Review your trades, and assess if you followed your plan.  Keep a log of all your trades, and make comments on each position.


9)  What is your Preparation process before trading?


You need defined time to prepare for the next trading day to build up your trading confidence.  I prepare after the close for the next day's trading, which allows me to formulate a plan of action BEFORE I get into the heat of battle.  This keeps my trading proactive instead of reactive.


10)  What broker will I use?


Most traders mistakenly think that commissions are the number one factor they can control.  In reality, commissions are a small cost compared to the broker's effectiveness at executing your trade.  Your focus should be finding a broker who gets you speedy and fair execution of your orders.  Especially with options, the price matters as does the speed of the 'fills'.







Once you have defined these facets of your trading plan, you are in an excellent position to have a strategy to control your emotions when trading and get the edge on your side.  Make sure to review your plan on a regular basis to create effective trading habits.




Trade Well..


Thanks & Regards,


Harsh Dixit.

No comments:

Post a Comment